Thursday 14 April 2016

Edna St Vincent Millay: Wild Swans


I looked in my heart while the wild swans went over.
And what did I see I had not seen before?
Only a question less or a question more:
Nothing to match the flight of wild birds flying.
Tiresome heart, forever living and dying,
House without air, I leave you and lock your door.
Wild swans, come over the town, come over
The town again, trailing your legs and crying!



There are three famous American woman poets whose first name begins with E, and I've just put up poems by the other two so here's the third (and least). Millay was a force of nature but that doesn't necessarily translate into real poetry. This is her only piece of animal verse I could find that's not entirely coated in period sentimentality.

No comments:

Post a Comment