Friday 29 July 2016

Janis Freegard: A Life Blighted by Pythons



waiting at the bus-stop
all I can think about
is how my hovercraft is full of eels

but it’s not, of course it’s not
my hovercraft is practically empty
my eels are few

in fact they’re not eels at all
but a netload of whitebait
and it isn’t even a hovercraft

I've never owned a hovercraft in my life
I wouldn’t know what to do with one
it’s not even a dinghy

it’s a reusable eco-friendly shopping bag
and they’re definitely not eels
and not even whitebait

the truth is, I've never been whitebaiting
they’re just vegetables
and I only have one thing to say:

your eels
my hovercraft
now, baby, now


From Kingdom Animalia: The Escapades of Linnaeus (2011). Freegard is a New Zealand poet and botanist. There are no pythons in New Zealand. The reader is being teased...

No comments:

Post a Comment